What Does "A Bit and a Bite" Mean?
At first, I wanted to do what other home cooks did: Write a recipe blog.
And why not? I had been an avid home cook and a writer my whole life. I had a reputation for wit and deliciousness. I told myself I'd start the site when I hit upon the proper name.
I don't remember how the idea came to me, but "A Bit to Read and a Bite to Eat," shortened to "A Bit and a Bite," was an instant winner. Domain names purchased; hosting purchased; we're good to go.
I didn't want to carbon copy what I saw across the web. If the wind-up to a recipe was going to be there, it had to mean something. Comments sections filled with trite mentions of how tasty a recipe looked (or, worse, how the recipe had turned out horrible because the cook had switched out five ingredients) did not appeal to me. I also wanted to flex my fiction muscles.
Unfortunately, short stories to feature recipes didn't work as well as I thought it would. Maybe one day I'll dust off some of my old ideas, including:
- A man named Goose and a man named Ditch trapped in a diner on a volcano planet. The recipe? Bagels.
- A writer in a café is given a free trial of a special "poet coffee" with magical powers of inspiration. Recipes for coffee and tea drinks.
- A cocktail that can land you a date--but she's 25 million light years away. Featuring a cocktail, obviously!
- A mysterious stranger at Linda's front door hands her a recipe and the secret to changing her fate. All for a chocolate mug cake. (Remember when everyone cooked food in mugs?)
- High fantasy! Castles, queens, princesses, dragons! And a fierce zucchini olive oil cake. Also the dragon is made of zucchini.
Maybe I was on to something back then...
At any rate, what started as a simple title about stories and food has come to carry a more personal meaning for me. "A bit and a bite." There is so much in this world that can be accomplished through incremental change. Though your steps may seem small, a bit of progress is better than no progress at all. A bite of accomplishment still makes progress on your goal. As someone who has struggled through dark times in life, sometimes, all you need to know is that you will get through this, a bit and a bite at a time.